Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A Project Completed

The green and purple baby blankets went out in the mail today. Such a nice feeling to complete a project!

Now the main yarn-based project is the variegated red shawl, which is progressing nicely. The more I get done, the more I like it, although all that openwork is going to take some blocking. Crotchet projects are so quick and satisfying, I like to do one now and then. At the end of the day, though, I like the knitted product better, so I always go back.

The big push this week is a shirt for Peter to wear at Blacksmith Days this weekend. He has been learning blacksmithing, and he joined a local group. This weekend they are putting on their big, annual festival with people coming from all over. They all try to dress up in mid to late 1800's style, so Peter wanted an appropriate shirt. I found a piece of fairly coarse weave linen in my stash, he says it's just what he wants, and I have an old Burda pattern that's a bit old-timey looking. With a few changes I think it'll look pretty good. The most time consuming part is that I don't want any machine stitching to show on the outside, so I've been spending my evenings doing the topstitching on the front placket, back yoke, and soon the cuffs by hand. I don't mind it, I actually love the rhythm of hand sewing. It's very soothing, much like a good knitting session. I hope I have it done by Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment