Thursday, November 12, 2009

Hello, World!

This blog is for my friend, Kate. Ta da, you got your wish!

I didn't do so well on keeping up in Facebook, let's see what I can do with a blog.

Let's see, what have I been up to? Just finished a pair of socks for my sister-in-law's birthday. It was Monday, we'll be celebrating this weekend. The yarn was a variegated blue I got in Las Vegas. Remember the story I told you about yarn shops coming to me? I did the tops in a rib, but then made some of the ribs flare out in spots, and I put little fishes in purl stitches into the flared bits. It's hard to describe, it's going to need a photo.

Now I have two projects under way. One is a shawl in Lion Brand Moonlight Mohair. I got it about a year ago at Ollie's Bargain Barn (or something like that). My other sister-in-law discovered it: bins of sparkly mohair blend, normally $9 a ball, for $2 each. We went wild. I bought a bunch in a pretty, honey brown colorway. Good tones for me. The shawl is from Elizabeth Zimmerman's "Knitting Around". Circular in back, square in front. Maybe I can scan in the diagram in the book so you can get the idea of the shape. It's very warm to work on. I don't know where I'll ever wear anything this sparkly, but I'm loving it.

The other project is a pair of socks. Color work in yarns I bought at the Sheep and Wool Festival in May. Well, greys and white and black. I use the term "color" loosely. Black toes, then there's kind of a fair isle type pattern in grey and white up the foot (that's where I am now), then there'll be a black heel and a dark grey top with a couple bands of fair isle type decoration. Most of the fancy work is on the foot. It's going slowly, but I love the pattern. My mom thinks I'm kind of crazy because, of course, the foot spends most of its time inside your shoe, so who's going to see all this intricate fair isle work? But I'll know it's there, and besides, I prefer to wear slip-on shoes. I'll just look for every excuse to slip them off when I wear these socks. Okay, maybe I am kind of crazy.

Anyway, that's about it for now. Pass my link on to Blond Knitter, too, okay? You'd be amazed how often I think of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment