Thursday, September 30, 2010

Best Laid Plans

Another yarn shortage.  Another project in UFO limbo.  The green EZ gauge-changing sweater.  Got most of the way up the body and reached the end of the first skein of bulky LanaLoft.  Way too soon.  No way I'm going to have enough of that yarn to do the remaining couple of inches on the body, both sleeves up to the armpit, and the 4" of yoke above the armpit, where the sleeves have joined the body.  I only have one more skein!  I looked up their vendors on their web site, and the closest one they list is the one in Annapolis where I bought this last year.  I'll have to go back and hope they have more.  A different dye lot I can deal with, I can probably work it in in such a way that a change in shade would look okay.  I just hope they have some.

Frustrated in that but unwilling to start another big project, I pulled out my overflowing drawer full of partial skein leftovers.  Back when I was knitting with k1frog2, she had the idea of making an afghan or blanket out of knitted squares made from leftovers.  If you knit them corner to corner like a dishcloth, you don't have to worry about gauge, you just start knitting and increasing, and when the sides get as long as you want the square to be, you start decreasing.  Brilliant!  And you can make squares from different size yarns, since they're joined together later.  So I started knitting squares.  Since some of the leftovers have a lot of yarn and some only a little, I decided to knit different sized squares, some 2", some 4", 6", and 8".  I can join the smaller ones to make 8" blocks, then join all the blocks together to make whatever I have enough to make.  A knitted blanket would be nice, that's what I'm hoping for.  It's fun to be able to change from the "big" project of an 8" square to the small project of a 2" square depending on how I'm feeling at the time.  A 2" square is quite quick to knit, even in sock yarn, and it's just as satisfying to finish.

Thanks for the idea, o froggy one!

No comments:

Post a Comment