Thursday, December 2, 2010

Cardiac knitting

Still basking in the afterglow of the North Shore Knit Out.  Thanks for everything, ladies, it was an amazing weekend!  A real break from everything, and great to see you both again! 

When I got home I launched immediately into the preparations for Thanksgiving, since we had the whole family (10 people in all) up to our house for the big day.  A nice time, and a nice meal, if I say so myself.

Unfortunately, the afterglow of that was dampened by Peter's mom going to the hospital at 5am Friday morning with chest pains.  They say she did have some sort of cardiac event (not the first time).  Once she was stable and they determined that inserting a stent was not an option (almost killed her last time they tried), they let her go home.  That was Tuesday afternoon.  So she's home, she's happy, Peter's sister is taking leave from work to take care of her, no one quite knows what to expect.  On the bright side, I got a lot of knitting done last weekend, too.

I finished the Fair Isle socks I worked on at the NSKO.  While I was working them I had serious doubts about my color choices, especially the purple, but once I put that final band of the burgundy tweed at the top of the whole thing, it really pulled it all together.  I am happy with them.  The tension seems fine, I did not have trouble wearing them or getting them on and off.  No undue trouble about snagging the yarns being carried on the wrong side.  Some of those carries were a bit long, I was a little worried about that.  I don't quite know what, if anything, to do with all the ends from the color changes.  I may just ignore them and hope they felt up and stick to the inside of the sock eventually.  I just washed them for the first time, I ought to inspect them and see whether that sounds plausible.

Finished those up on the day after Thanksgiving, while I was waiting at home to find out what was happening with Peter's mom.  By the end of the day she was stable and we knew she'd be in for a while, so I started a plain pair of self-striping socks to work on in the waiting room.  Sure enough, spent large parts of Saturday and Sunday in the hospital waiting room, mostly watching stuff while Peter and his brother and sister took turns visiting mom in the critical care unit, talking to doctors, etc.  It was important for me to be there, but I'm also really happy I have a hobby that is portable and can keep me occupied for hours.

2 comments:

  1. My Dad has been having cardiac "events" now for a few years. He has an electrical problem that causes one chamber of his heart to beat at a completely different rhythm from the other chambers resulting in low blood pressure and eventually hospitalization. He had another episode last Wed. (day before Thanksgiving) and was in the hospital for 3 days. No blockages, just electrical stuff. So I know this drill well. I should get my mom into knitting to help her pass the time in the hosp - her craft is scrapbooking (hard to port around) but she is totally NOT interested. Oh well. Glad your socks came out well. POST PICTURES! Please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (as for posting comments...I do have to click the "Post Comment" button several times, but it always works for me)

    ReplyDelete