Thursday, December 16, 2010

A mixed bag

By popular acclaim (thanks, blonde knitter), I have started the Lion Suede sweater jacket.  A bit of advice: when someone shows you a cool new technique and you want to use it, don't wait a month to do it.  Fortunately, I still had the sample I knitted at the NSKO.  After 4 tries I finally managed to do it right and was able to cast on.

In my defense, the sample was knit flat, and the cast on was in the round.  So I did have to adapt the original instructions a little.  But my basic mistake had nothing to do with that, so it doesn't really excuse me.

Anyway, I decided to knit the sleeves first and to knit them both at the same time, so I now have them cast on, the first two rows knitted (the cool braided looking pattern K1Frog2 taught me) and also a couple plain rows to lock it all into place.  I stopped there because I have to take some measurements and decide on the increase pattern so the sleeves can taper properly.  I'm knitting the sleeves first because I'm making the pattern up as I go along.  The length of the body will be determined mainly by how far the yarn I have will go, so I figured get the sleeves out of the way and then I'll know how much yarn I really have for the body.

On a different note, more sock sadness, but also some gladness.  The pair of socks I knit on our vacation last summer became a single sock somewhere along the way.  For a couple of months now, the single sock has languished, hanging over the edge of my sock box waiting for its mate to reappear.  Finally, it did.  In the yard.  Under the clothesline.  Where it has lain for lo these past months since it got too cold to hang laundry out and have it dry in a reasonable time.  Peter discovered it while bringing in the clothespins for the winter.  Do you know what happens when dyed wool lays out in the sun for a couple of months?  Yes!  It fades!  Now imagine a sock which has lain in the sun with one side up and the other side down for all that time.  It is a very interesting two-tone sock now.  However, I have determined to go ahead and wear it.  I only wore these once or twice, I want to wear them more.  Just not anyplace where appearance really matters.  

2 comments:

  1. So what you need to do with the sock is leave the OTHER sock out in the sun an equal number of months and have it fade on half of it and then you'll have a matching pair again! Problem solved.

    On another note, the LFC hat that K1Frog2 made ended up selling at the Christmas Lunch auction for .... wait for it.....

    $76.

    Sold to Will Pittinos. Seriously! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you believe she doesn't think her stuff is good? If she weren't my friend, I'd probably have to smack her.

    As for the sock, I like the way you think.... Now the decision is: fade them to match (left/right wise) or opposite?

    ReplyDelete