Friday, January 29, 2010

A New Project

Started a new knitting project last night. What better excuse to blog?

It's an Elizabeth Zimmerman yoke sweater in Lion Brand Cotton-Ease. I am a big fan of natural fibers, but I am also a big fan of machine washable clothing, so I am hoping the Cotton-Ease provides a good compromise.

I don't like sweaters with ribbed bands at the waist, they tend to look like balloons while I'm wearing them, and I already look too much like a balloon for my taste. So I dug out mom's "Knitting on the Edge" book. There I found an edging that is so cute, I think I'm going to use the pattern for the whole sweater. It's a bit lacy, though, so now, what with the cotton blend yarn, I'm thinking of a spring sweater with 3/4 length sleeves which I could wear over a tank top in late spring / early summer.

You see how these projects snowball? Still, as the idea develops, it is making me happier and happier, which I take as a good sign.

So I started the gauge swatch last night. I'm very pleased with how quickly the Cotton-Ease knits up on 8" needles. The resulting fabric has a nice hand and drape as well, I think it'll work well for the type of sweater I have in mind. If it goes this quickly, I might actually be able to wear this sweater this spring!

The one problem I had not worked out was how to handle the pattern with the decreases EZ uses to shape the yoke. But just as I was falling asleep last night, an idea came to me. Miracle of miracles, I still remembered it this morning, and I still think it could work. Not just the delirious musings of a mostly-dreaming brain. Once my gauge swatch is big enough and I've got my gauge, I'll test the decreasing and see whether my idea holds water.

I love new projects. This is the most fun part of the whole process.

No comments:

Post a Comment