Tuesday, January 26, 2010

this 'n' that

Start of the semester. Yesterday was the first day of classes, so things are plenty busy around here. But I'm managing to get some time at lunch today, so here's a post. Thanks for reading!

Start of the semester also means some things will be picking up again soon, like the knitting group. Yay! I'm looking forward to a treat this semester, as an old-time group member will be coming back, at least temporarily. She used to work here, left or retired or something, but comes back from time to time to fill in for various departments when someone leaves. I have heard her name often from Ralene, our knitting group "leader", so I'm looking forward to meeting her.

Went to see Avatar last weekend (like everyone else in the world, apparently). No knitting in the movie, but other than that, I loved it. The story is standard chick flick fare, but the visuals! Oh, man! We saw it in Westminster in 2D, and we left the theater talking about when we could make the half hour drive to Hanover to see it in 3D. It's just gorgeous. Go see it if you haven't already.

Also celebrated family birthdays last weekend. My brother-in-law and his wife have birthdays one week apart, and last weekend was the weekend in between, so we went down to their place for a little get-together. Angel food cake with strawberries and spinner dominoes. Livin' it up like wildmen. As a present to their dad, my two nephews (19 and 23) sat in for a few games. It was pretty funny how they were humoring all of us oldsters. Talkin' and tappin', movin' and jivin', it was certainly different than when it's just us geezers. Kate, you know what I mean about boys/young men that age.

Current projects are mostly quilting oriented. Still finishing Peter's Christmas quilt, it's looking good and it's so snuggly warm to work on in the evenings. I'm sewing on some button embellishments, so it's hand work right now, which I really love. I'd rather sew by hand than on a machine any day. Mom is still deciding what edging fabric to use on her Christmas quilt. And on top of that I decided to do the February block of the month for the quilt guild. Just a big applique'd heart, no big deal. Actually I am making two of them. I have mail ordered some potholder materials (heat resistant batting and that silver material), and I want to make one square into a potholder for myself. I need some new ones, and it seems I should be able to make them pretty easily, so we'll see how it works out.

Okay, back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment