Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Party's Over

The holidays are over. Time to relax in front of the fire and recharge the batteries. Not that it wasn't fun, but it was a lot of work!

The visit with Kathi and Christa went well. Westminster is kind of a slow little town, but we did manage to treat them to a record snowfall, almost 2 feet in one day. That was on a Saturday, and we were smart enough to park one car near the end of the driveway, so we were able to get out on Sunday. Living on the road to the hospital has some advantages, like good snow plowing. On Monday, Peter had to go to work after all, so we decided to shovel out one of the other cars. 20" of snow. 70 feet of driveway. You get the picture. Thank God it was fluffy snow. Let's just hope none of the neighbors turns in those pictures of the girl in the wheelchair shoveling snow. I swear, judge, she wanted to do it!

Christmas Day saw us seating 13 at the big table. If you've read past posts, you know we hosted Thanksgiving, which in principal made Christmas my brother- and sister-in-law's holiday. However, her mother was just getting over a hip replacement operation, and really, it was just all too much. But their son really wanted to do the Christmas brunch he's done the last few years. After all, he may be a budding young chef, he's thinking of culinary school. So in the end they brought up a cooler of stuff, Eric cooked brunch at our house, we had sit-down brunch and then a buffet in the afternoon, and everyone had a grand time. Including me.

Now the company's gone and I'm back at work. Vacations always go by much too fast. Got my best help desk call ever today. The Registrar wants me to un-knit a row of a scarf for her. Hmm, a knitting help desk. Can I make money at it? Probably not. Too bad.

This woman, her name is Jan, was on my interview committee for this job, and she was one of the three people I had lunch with that day. One of the other people is a big knitter/weaver/etc, and she mentioned that there was a knitting group here at the College. So when I started the job here, I joined the knitting group, and Jan asks me about it from time to time. She's very nice. Now she's knitting a scarf. There's a mistake and she needs to go back a little ways, but it's in a simple lace pattern, and she's afraid she'll mess up with the complex stitches. So she asked me. What fun to be known on campus for knitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment